If you’re seeking greener pastures, a career in software engineering is definitely worth exploring. According to trusted sources, a software engineer salary is an upwards of 100% compared to other careers and is the fastest growing as well. The exact engineer salary will vary of course depending on the location and company, but the average numbers across the globe rings in at $90,000.
Software engineering is a field of computer science that deals with the creation of software for computers and other electronic devices. A software engineer is not to be confused with a computer programmer as the two disciplines are considerably different. Basically, a software engineer designs the programs, while a computer programmer created the codes to make them work.
Locating great engineering talent is not easy in itself so tech companies are happy to pay top $$$ for those who excel at what they do and also to keep them happy. So if you’re curious to know which tech heavyweights pay their engineers the most, the salaries of these global organizations will definitely raise eyebrows.
1. Juniper Networks – engineers at Juniper Networks not Facebook or Google are the highest paid on this list. With a base salary of $160,000, Juniper is a network component maker and a close rival of Cisco Systems. The engineer salary offered by Juniper is significantly higher than the global world average for this discipline.
2. Google – a company that doesn’t allow its employees to go more than 150 feet for food and backed by a vibrant history, Google is the second highest payer on this list, and pays its engineers a base salary of $124,520. Not only are software engineers handsomely paid, they and other employees enjoy a plethora of perks including 3 gourmet meals a day, allowed to bring their trained canines to work, and spend 20% of their time on developing ideas of their own among others.
3. Twitter – Coming in at #3, Twitter – a social media heavyweight pays its software engineers a base salary $120,000 and a bucket load of perks. Twitter has garnered a reputation of being one of the top places to work with rooftop team meetings and free food.
4. Facebook – Another social media bigwig, a base engineer salary at Facebook is no less $119,000 plus some of the most fantastic perks in Silicon Valley. The biggest and unique benefit of working at Facebook is the ability to set your own hours without compromising on a hefty paycheck.
5. Apple – with an engineer salary ringing in at $118,000, working at the Apple headquarters in Cupertino CA is truly an experience of a lifetime. Although a hard company to work for, all employees at Apple are well compensated for their time including phenomenal benefits.